Thursday, August 18, 2011

Vegan Black Beans in Beer

I almost feel silly posting this as a recipe. As it isn't much. But every time I make 'em, be it friends, boyfriends, students or coworkers, I get a compliment. Plus, I figure at the hottest day we've had in August, this is a good slow cooker recipe to post. Also, I spent all day yesterday restoring a cabinet and today canning more jam, so it was just what was needed...simple!



After making some awesome Strawberry Lime, Strawberry Basil and Strawberry Balsamic and Black Pepper Jam, I met up with a dear friend for dinner. I had enough forsight this morning to start my favorite black beans in the crock pot. Out of this came some yummy summer tacos. Fresh tortillas (from Mi Abuelita in West Sac), fresh cilantro, summer tomatoes, my black beans, a little cojita cheese and creme fresh. Perfect!

Come winter, I like to add sweet potatoes to the mix, along with frozen cilantro from the summer garden. Truly, my favorite taco.

All in all, not a fancy meal, but simple and delicious!

Black Beans with Beer
( this recipe makes enough to make 2o tacos or so...with fixings)

1 bag of dried black beans (about one pound bulk)
1-2 onions depending on preference
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili pepper powder or flakes
2 cubes of vegetable bouillon, or better yet, homemade bouillon
(for a richer bouillon, I sometimes add miso, or slow roast vegetables before processing)
1 bottle of beer
Roughly 2 cups of water

Sautée onion with olive oil in the bottom of the warmed crock pot. Add 2 cups of water (enough to nearly cover beans), beer, bouillon and spices. For lighter beans, add a Corona and some lime. For something a bit darker, add a Negro Modelo.

Set to Medium and cook for about 8 hours. Fix. Forget. You have to love it.

Sweet Potatoes

Chop potatoes into cubes or strips. Season with cumin and olive oil to taste. Roast in oven on 350 until desired consistency.


No comments:

Post a Comment